Sunday 20 November 2016

Bastie Racing Heritage

Sideburn's French ambassador, Hubert Bastie sent tells this great story about his family background...

Many of us, DTRA riders, are from a family of racers. The same for me.

My dad was born in 1950 in Paris. He rode Husqvarna, Ossa and Bultacos from 1973 to 1983. But I never saw him riding, not e even once (but last year he competed in a Super veteran race, after 33 years of not racing). Why? Because he just stopped everything when my brother came to the world.

What did he leave us from his racing years? Tons of bikes? Cool riding gear? Did he take us ride as youngsters? NO! Nothing!

He was just ok to help me to buy a trials bike, a Gas Gas 125, at 16, but I'd been focussed on a 1985 YZ since I was 12! For him motocross is baaaad and dangerous. That's so strange for a man who finished the seventh at first edition of Le Touquet, who won races in the French Enduro Championship.

Here is what he left:
3 helmets in the Garage, that became nice bird's nest.
One single Husqvarna Jersey.
Some trophies And a used Trelleborg tyre and tooooons of pictures...
 1981 Husqvarna 250
  1981 Husqvarna 250
 1982 Husqvarna
                                                                    1982 Husqvarna
 The one on the left became my mum 
 Ossa Trials
 The shirt I wore in DTRA
 Broken shock at Le Touquet in 1981
 The helmet cemetery today
With his road bike a Z1, one of the first in France

2 comments:

Bubble Visor said...

You look so moch like your dad when you race! Great post with brilliant pics!

Adam said...

Am sure lots of people can echo your upbringing! me included! it took for my cousin to buy me a minimoto for my 21st birthday to get into racing! lol