Thursday 16 February 2012

It's a London fing - UPDATED

Swirly American fairground fonts (or any of my favourites) weren't Drogo's cup of tea for his new Co-Built 6 bike, which is nearing completion. He's gone instead for the stalwart sans serif design developed by Edward Johnston for London Transport in 1916. BPUPDATE From Drogo...
So I chose my race number cos it was already on my eBay leathers, I go London Transport font in a moment of creative laziness for the number board. You liken it to the buses. I look up the bus number and what do you know, the 27 starts life 5 mins from my new house!
However, the whole thing really ties in with my average race speed being the same as a London Bus during rush hour...
Dr Ogo

UPDATE 2: Olive for David Taylor.
UPDATE 3: This all reminds me that, at Verona, I was telling Dave Skooter Farm that Reg Varney was the first person anywhere in the world to use an ATM machine in public. It was 1967 and outside Barclays, Enfield. (I sometimes wonder what people think who stumble on this blog trying to find out something about a motorbike magazine). G

12 comments:

747 said...

so proper? please tell me punk is not dead. good inspiration for them neat numbers.

Nick said...

A trusty AEC Regent, or RT, if I'm not mistaken

Sideburn Magazine said...

ah Nick
I think it's actually a Bristol KSW with an Eastern Coach Works body.
BP

Nick said...

NICE ONE BP

Sideburn Magazine said...

ok Nick
to redeem yourself, can you tell our readers what late '60s to mid '70s British sitcom the saucy film-still is taken from?
BP

Nick said...

"ON THE BUSES" a classic of British television

Sideburn Magazine said...

10 points

andrewdavidtaylor said...

It's always concerned me how Stan & Jack were quite obviously in their late 40's but always seemed to managed to cop off with the young teenage mini-skirted "clippys" ?? Or managed to park a large red double decker bus un-noticed outside the house of some middle aged "bit of squeeze" whilst they popped in for a bit of "how's ya father" ??....Wasn't Olive a handsome woman in her baby doll nightie though !! Phwoooar !!

Nick said...

That's why we like it so much, pretty random

Sideburn Magazine said...

sadly British TV lacks any genuine Phwoooar! these days
BP

dave skooter farm said...

digging Reg's white flat cap...very Steve McQueen

Hot Shoe said...

I think it was the allure of that uniform that did it for Jack in his success at chatting up of the clippies. Sadly Stan never did have any success in this department as his plans were often scuppered by Arthur, Olive, Blakey or his Mum.
Also having lived near a bus garage in the 1970s i have seen women go weak at the knees at the slightest glimpse of a bus driver's uniform.
Oooh err missus!!!!!!!!