Saturday 4 July 2009

London fixie meet-up


If I ever have to be in London early for work I try to stop at my mate Andy's the night before. This time we heard about some fixie cycle film preview thing and thought it might be worth checking out. Fixie bicycles really split opinion. Some people seem to take a dislike to the whole scene, but it's just a scene, people wanting to hang out, some are a bit too cool for school, but so what?
A few phone calls and Ben rode two hours from his temporary home in Suffolk (after literally popping out for a pint of milk). Jake rode over on his BMW. Fordy called Grant, and Mr Death Spray Custom said he'd come too. In the end we bought some cans and stood outside, not even bothering to watch the film. We stayed long enough to watch the impromptu stunt show (which was pretty crappy until someone crashed into a table of chardonay sippers outside the snooty Italian restaurant).





Mr DSC explained the ins and outs of fixies to us while people slobbered over the former track bike he'd ridden 12 miles to meet us.

This fella was the Sideburn style icon. He had 12-speeds and a chinstrap beard.

Then we went for the worst curry Brick Lane had to offer. I'd drunk enough by then that I didn't even notice.

15 comments:

t said...

The 12 speed Sideburn style icon infiltrating the fixie party reminds me of being at the top of Filmore ( a very steep hill ) before the start of the Grand Prix of San Francisco and this little Chinese woman cruised up it on a 3 speed with a basket like she probably does every day. She was smiling as the huge crowd cheered her on as she crested the summit ..but you could tell she didn't know what all the fuss was about some people riding their bikes up that hill.

G.S.GUCCILIFE said...

I want that DSC t shirt.....

Giannis said...

+1 Where we get this tshirt?

Anthony Brown said...

where was my invite, trueman bewery is my second home!!!!

Skylar said...

2 new pics of the Guzzbag I see. Nice to know it aint been wrecked

Rich Murdoch said...

watch out for overall's being worn on the streets of hoxton, shoreditch etc. It's a good look Ben.

Paul said...

Please forgive my ignorance, what's a fixie?

Sideburn Magazine said...

Paul if we told you you'd be as hip as us, so you'll just have to find out. Or bullsh*t. In fact, yeah do that. Tell us what you think one is. G

Unknown said...

Does anybody actually still go to Brick Lane for a curry ... except tourists?

I wand DSC to paint my tank!!!

I don't like fixies

Skylar said...

I like people getting out on bicycles, whatever the scene.

Stuka said...

Chinstrap beard, white cotton slacks and sandals...thats the look for me...!!

Paul said...

Fixie = A bicycle that has no gears or suspension?

Paul said...

OK. I couldn't wait to see if I was getting cooler. Good old Wikipedia:

"A fixed-gear bicycle, fixed wheel bicycle or "fixie", is a bicycle without the ability to coast because the sprocket is screwed directly on to the hub and there is no freewheel mechanism."

I like this part:
"...brakeless fixed riding has an almost cult status in some places"


But I learned something else important:
"UK - The Pedal Cycles Construction and Use Regulations 1983 requires that pedal cycles "with a saddle height over 635 mm to have two independent braking systems, with one acting on the front wheel(s) and one on the rear"
"

So now I know the cruiser bicycle that I've been building for the last few years is technically illegal - it has no front brake.

Sideburn Magazine said...

'Murdoch, I can't claim the overall look as my own.
I clocked Jake Bowie (here on his /5 'BM); 3 years before I actually got to meet him, wearing all white overalls with a big GOODYEAR patch across the shoulders & a black piss-pot lid on his /2 'BM.
Even these blues one are his & I'm only wearing them 'down' as otherwise it was a severe case of front & rear camel toe. He's about a foot shorter than me.
BP

Chris W said...

Paul - a lot of fixies only have one front brake but are arguably UK legal 'cos the back brake is the pedals, chain and fixed sprocket which you operate by resisting with your legs - or even locking the wheel up for a slide.